Skip to main content

From Bottles to Cups



Two weeks before getting back to work, we practiced Sofia drinking from a feeding bottle. Although lactation experts do not recommend this, my husband and I still let Sofia to use bottles while I'm away. Luckily, Sofia took the bottles easily and more luckily, still latches on me when we're together. However, feeding bottles made me stressed out because of my fear of nipple confusion and thus might result to less milk production. My husband and I agreed to cup feed Sofia when she turns 6 months.

During weekends few weeks before she turned 6 months, I practice her to drink from a cup. It wasn't easy at all- we had a lot of spills! At six months, we were consistent drinking milk from the cup after eating but she still takes the bottle when she needs to sleep. Until we observed she dropped bottles little by little from 5 to 4 to 3 bottles a day. A few weeks before turning nine months, Sofia weaned herself drinking from feeding bottles. They tried offering her bottles a few times but she really refused (I never give bottles to her but I cup feed her). Now, Sofia drinks from the cup and latches on me. The best part of cup feeding is that your baby is really, really, overly excited when she sees you because she cannot wait to latch (daddy, that's why she's excited to see me more than you :P). And another good thing is less stuff to wash! 

A few tips for cup feeding:

1. Use a clear shot glass so you can see if the milk is being lapped by your baby so you won't spill some milk. Feeding bottle caps will also do - we use this if we're out.

2. Hold the cup at the bottom not on the side. But with practice, and when your baby can drink perfectly from the cup, it doesn't matter.

3. Be consistent in practicing. If you're like me who would like to transition your child from bottle to cup, give the cup more frequently than bottles thru time. 

4. It's okay to spill some milk. It's just like when your expressing and then accidentally spilled the milk and that's worse! So it's okay to spill some. You'll get over it.

5. Be patient. It takes two to tango. You and your baby need time to master this. Sofia learned cup feeding after a month of consistently offering her milk from the cup.

Good thing also Sofia weaned from drinking bottles when she's teething. They say nipples (or pacifiers- which we didn't introduce to Sofia at all) can cause misalignment of teeth in the future when permanent teeth come out (which is true in thumb sucking). Cup feeding also skips the "training cup" stage. They tried to offer Sofia a training cup but she refused as well. 

I wish I have introduced cup to my baby when she was still an infant so I wouldn't worry she'll get nipple confused and her suckling won't change. Although it's not really bad to offer bottles, it's better to offer cups to babies. It's a matter of choice and being aware of the consequences. Believe me, your baby misses you more when she's cup fed the whole day!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For Parents with Newborn: How to Get More Sleep

Not an expert on this one but I just want to share how we managed Sofia's sleep at night. When people ask me if I'm getting enough sleep since Sofia came, they are always surprised to hear that I get enough sleep ever since. Of course the first few weeks were zombie sleeping but it was just because I need to feed my daughter every 2 hours to stimulate my milk. But Sofia did not really (and is not) give us a hard time to get enough sleep.  I've heard some moms whose babies were wide awake and would play in the middle of the night. My daughter never did that. She'd only wake up and cry because of normal stuff like colic, too hot or too cold room temperature, wet diaper or simply wanted to be fed but not at all, because she wanted to play. So for moms with newborns coming, here are my tips. Some I got from a pediatrician. 1. Breastfeed and co-sleep. Of course, so to minimize the need to move. The first two and a half months, co-sleeping and breastfeeding did

Big Thank You!

This is my long overdue assignment (aside from having my wedding gown dry-cleaned) that I owe from my suppliers for helping us make our wedding a wonderful one.  Rule of Thirds by JR Salonga I read about JR in GirlTalk. I have a list of all other photographers and let Lester decide. Fortunately, they also had a package with ReelHD. Lester and I love our photos. They were full of creativity and we can see his passion in photography through his shots. From our prenup to our wedding, each picture has a story. Yung iba, take pictures as a living. Kay JR, he takes pictures because he loves to, that's it. Kung baga, bonus nalang at binayaran siya. Kita naman sa kuha e. Our wedding was very simple but the pictures are very beautiful. My dad was also very happy with our pictures. Galing daw ng photographer namin! Very professional, though a busy person, he still makes sure to keep in touch to discuss things. Lester & Gem sde from Gem Manipon-Javier on Vimeo . Rya

I have a Superpower but I'm not a Superwoman

*Late post.* I reposted this instagram post from @assocbfmothers . I thought having super powers means being a super mom as well. Few days from now, Sofia will be five months, and yes, we are almost there!!! I never got sick since I was hospitalized last year after my dehydration thingy. Even did not get sick after giving birth. I continue to breastfeed, drink my vitamins and lots of water and eat a little more. So, I thought I was doing well. I came back to work two months after giving birth and everything was fine. But two days ago, I felt chills, body aches and headache. I wasn’t able to nurse even though I’m at home. All I did was sleep and pump. I only nursed Sofia at night when she’s about to sleep when both of us are already lying on our bed. I did not feel any better the next day so I decided to get some tests but results say everything’s normal, I was just over fatigued. (But I have yet to see my OB) Then I realized, yes, I may have super powers but I am not a super