Skip to main content

Breastfeeding Sofia

When I was pregnant, I was already determined to breastfeed my daughter though we were open to take FM just in case. I was so positive about breastfeeding just as how positive I was to deliver normally. Everyday I pray for milk and normal delivery and God did not fail to bless us so.

I was open with my OB that I want to breastfeed and she was supportive about it. She gave me malunggay caps when Sofia was 37 weeks in my tummy and I continue to take twice a day until now though I think still my determination to provide Sofia with exclusive breastmilk was still the main reason why I still have the abundance of milk.

It wasn’t an easy journey. I had some frustrations as early as Sofia came out from my tummy. First, I asked my OB if my husband can be inside the DR when I deliver but the hospital prohibits from doing so. I wanted my husband to look after my daughter as soon as she comes out and not take his eyes off her. Second, I wanted local anesthesia only to feel the pain (Yes, tapang-tapangan lang) but I can’t endure the pain so I ended up having epidural. And lastly, I wanted Sofia to latch on me as soon as I deliver (Unang Yakap)- even though she was still full of blood and all and find my breast to get her first few drops of colostrum. She was placed on top of me, and I saw her but because I was numb with the epidural thingy, I wasn’t able to insist to breastfeed her. As soon as I recovered, around an hour and a half after I delivered, the nurses brought Sofia in and latched on me. And I was so happy how hard she suckled and we were sure she got what she needed that moment.

That was easy, and the harder part was when we got home. I had to feed her every two hours. My husband sets the alarm and wakes me up every now and then to feed Sofia. I had sore nipples and engorged breasts. But those did not stop me from feeding her. Whenever Sofia is asleep, I read a lot of things about breastfeeding. I researched how to make it easier. I joined a facebook community to get bits of advice. Little by little, I was learning. Everything was all worth it.

I thought my supply will always be at its peak. I was able to establish a good amount of back up stash just before I came back from work. I was able to pump at least 15 ounces of milk in a day whenever we practice feeding Sofia when I am not around. And that went on until I came back to work. My supply was really good that sometimes, I’m able to share some bags to a friend at work and I have a few ounces added to my frozen stash. Until one day, I was noticed my supply slowly went down. I had again frustrations especially Sofia’s getting bigger and demanding to get more milk. She pooped once a week, sometimes beyond a week and everyone around me was bothered but I wasn’t. I knew it was alright.

But still, I went through a depression. I was this close giving up breast feeding my baby. I felt there’s something wrong with my breast milk and how Sofia was fed because everyone around me was bothered when Sofia’s getting fussy and they will always think something’s wrong with her tummy. And when it’s like that, I thought it was my breastmilk because that’s the only food she takes. When I hear those, it’s like, “yung breastmilk mo kasi ganito ganyan.” And what they did not understand was, it was a hard work pump the whole day at work and I know I’m giving the best to my daughter and now you’re blaming the milk I produce because she was fussy the whole time. And then I broke down and uttered the words, “Ayoko na.” Buti nalang wala akong isang salita! Haha! My husband was supportive. He understood where I was coming from and encouraged me we are never going to give up.

That was my turning point when I got serious about giving my daughter exclusive breastmilk that even though I am at work, I know she feels how I love her whenever I pump during my lactation breaks. I needed to add a couple of pumping times to meet Sofia’s demand of milk and at the same time, freezing some stash just in case. I pump as soon as I come in the office (30 minutes before my shift starts) and every 3 hours after each session plus another one at 4 or 5 in the morning. I express at least a couple of times a day also during weekends even though I’m with Sofia.

Until now, Sofia takes my breastmilk when I’m away and latches on me when I’m around. Providing pure breastmilk is the decision we need to stand and be firm about. Support came from a lot of people around me- co-working-breastfeeding moms, nurses at work, families and friends and breastfeeding group. But nothing beats my husband’s support. I might have totally given up if he did not say, “you’re giving the best to Sofia and look how healthy she is. That’s because of your milk.” (He’s not conyo like that. In-english ko lang! Hehehe!)

Kuddos to all breastfeeding moms!

P.S. I wish to share what I learned and inspire moms to breastfeed their children. I believe, the children are our future. You don’t teach them well and let them lead the way first but provide the best from day one! (Kumanta ka no :P)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For Parents with Newborn: How to Get More Sleep

Not an expert on this one but I just want to share how we managed Sofia's sleep at night. When people ask me if I'm getting enough sleep since Sofia came, they are always surprised to hear that I get enough sleep ever since. Of course the first few weeks were zombie sleeping but it was just because I need to feed my daughter every 2 hours to stimulate my milk. But Sofia did not really (and is not) give us a hard time to get enough sleep.  I've heard some moms whose babies were wide awake and would play in the middle of the night. My daughter never did that. She'd only wake up and cry because of normal stuff like colic, too hot or too cold room temperature, wet diaper or simply wanted to be fed but not at all, because she wanted to play. So for moms with newborns coming, here are my tips. Some I got from a pediatrician. 1. Breastfeed and co-sleep. Of course, so to minimize the need to move. The first two and a half months, co-sleeping and breastfeeding did

Big Thank You!

This is my long overdue assignment (aside from having my wedding gown dry-cleaned) that I owe from my suppliers for helping us make our wedding a wonderful one.  Rule of Thirds by JR Salonga I read about JR in GirlTalk. I have a list of all other photographers and let Lester decide. Fortunately, they also had a package with ReelHD. Lester and I love our photos. They were full of creativity and we can see his passion in photography through his shots. From our prenup to our wedding, each picture has a story. Yung iba, take pictures as a living. Kay JR, he takes pictures because he loves to, that's it. Kung baga, bonus nalang at binayaran siya. Kita naman sa kuha e. Our wedding was very simple but the pictures are very beautiful. My dad was also very happy with our pictures. Galing daw ng photographer namin! Very professional, though a busy person, he still makes sure to keep in touch to discuss things. Lester & Gem sde from Gem Manipon-Javier on Vimeo . Rya

I have a Superpower but I'm not a Superwoman

*Late post.* I reposted this instagram post from @assocbfmothers . I thought having super powers means being a super mom as well. Few days from now, Sofia will be five months, and yes, we are almost there!!! I never got sick since I was hospitalized last year after my dehydration thingy. Even did not get sick after giving birth. I continue to breastfeed, drink my vitamins and lots of water and eat a little more. So, I thought I was doing well. I came back to work two months after giving birth and everything was fine. But two days ago, I felt chills, body aches and headache. I wasn’t able to nurse even though I’m at home. All I did was sleep and pump. I only nursed Sofia at night when she’s about to sleep when both of us are already lying on our bed. I did not feel any better the next day so I decided to get some tests but results say everything’s normal, I was just over fatigued. (But I have yet to see my OB) Then I realized, yes, I may have super powers but I am not a super