Skip to main content

For Parents with Newborn: How to Get More Sleep

Not an expert on this one but I just want to share how we managed Sofia's sleep at night.

When people ask me if I'm getting enough sleep since Sofia came, they are always surprised to hear that I get enough sleep ever since. Of course the first few weeks were zombie sleeping but it was just because I need to feed my daughter every 2 hours to stimulate my milk. But Sofia did not really (and is not) give us a hard time to get enough sleep. 

I've heard some moms whose babies were wide awake and would play in the middle of the night. My daughter never did that. She'd only wake up and cry because of normal stuff like colic, too hot or too cold room temperature, wet diaper or simply wanted to be fed but not at all, because she wanted to play.

So for moms with newborns coming, here are my tips. Some I got from a pediatrician.

1. Breastfeed and co-sleep. Of course, so to minimize the need to move. The first two and a half months, co-sleeping and breastfeeding did not help too much because I'd get up and feed Sofia in a cradle hold position. When I realized I need more sleep and sometimes I fall asleep while holding Sofia which is dangerous, I needed to learn side-lying position. So from then on, I've been feeding Sofia on bed, lying side by side and I've learned also how to feed my baby with the other side of the breast (one far from my baby's side).

2. Turn off your room lights. But it's okay to use night lights. Why? So that the baby will know it's night time and it's time to close her eyes and sleep. It also helps if you do not watch TV while putting your baby to sleep. Sofia can't sleep if I do that.

3. It's okay if there's too much noise during the day. Why again? So she'll know it's time to play and it's daytime. When Sofia was born, our neighbors' houses were all in an on-going construction. But Sofia still took naps easily by tapping or swaying her. And then wakes up and play because it's daytime!

4. Have a bedtime routine. Bathe the baby, change her clothes, read a story consistently at the same time of the night. We'd do this starting 6pm and then we go to our room before 8pm every  night. When her body remembers the time, you'll be surprised that your baby doesn't need to be tapped or swayed just to fall asleep.

5. It helps if her daytime bed is different from her nighttime bed. We used a crib and duyan when she sleeps during the day and as I've said we co-sleep on our bed at night. Once you have established daytime and nighttime sleeping, this won't matter anymore. When Sofia turned 6 or 7 months, we removed the crib and duyan to give way for her playpen in our living area. During weekends when I'm not working, she's fine sleeping on our bed during the day.

6. No toys in the bedroom. When Sofia was newborn, our room never really had baby stuff aside from her comforter and pillow. But there was nothing in the room that will make her busy like baby mobiles, toys or those sleepy musical stuff until Sofia learned the routine. Now, our room has baby stuff already so she can play while in our bedroom before bedtime but come 8:30pm, she'll stop playing and will be lying down on our bed.

7. Last but not the least, luck! Hehehehe. Probably, we're just lucky that Sofia knows when to sleep and how long to sleep. She was very consistent to go to bed before 9pm and wakes up at 6am. Of course, she'll wake up to breastfeed but goes back to sleep when she's done.

So there. I hope this helps new moms in their motherhood journey. Remember, if you lack sleep at night because of your babies, that will pass. Your babies will learn to sleep longer at night no matter what.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Big Thank You!

This is my long overdue assignment (aside from having my wedding gown dry-cleaned) that I owe from my suppliers for helping us make our wedding a wonderful one.  Rule of Thirds by JR Salonga I read about JR in GirlTalk. I have a list of all other photographers and let Lester decide. Fortunately, they also had a package with ReelHD. Lester and I love our photos. They were full of creativity and we can see his passion in photography through his shots. From our prenup to our wedding, each picture has a story. Yung iba, take pictures as a living. Kay JR, he takes pictures because he loves to, that's it. Kung baga, bonus nalang at binayaran siya. Kita naman sa kuha e. Our wedding was very simple but the pictures are very beautiful. My dad was also very happy with our pictures. Galing daw ng photographer namin! Very professional, though a busy person, he still makes sure to keep in touch to discuss things. Lester & Gem sde from Gem Manipon-Javier on Vimeo . Rya

I have a Superpower but I'm not a Superwoman

*Late post.* I reposted this instagram post from @assocbfmothers . I thought having super powers means being a super mom as well. Few days from now, Sofia will be five months, and yes, we are almost there!!! I never got sick since I was hospitalized last year after my dehydration thingy. Even did not get sick after giving birth. I continue to breastfeed, drink my vitamins and lots of water and eat a little more. So, I thought I was doing well. I came back to work two months after giving birth and everything was fine. But two days ago, I felt chills, body aches and headache. I wasn’t able to nurse even though I’m at home. All I did was sleep and pump. I only nursed Sofia at night when she’s about to sleep when both of us are already lying on our bed. I did not feel any better the next day so I decided to get some tests but results say everything’s normal, I was just over fatigued. (But I have yet to see my OB) Then I realized, yes, I may have super powers but I am not a super